Job Title: Community Wellness & Engagement Coordinator
Position Type: Full-Time (35 hours/week)
Reporting to: Executive Director
Compensation Type: Salary
Office Location: Richmond Hill, ON
Application Deadline: May 25, 2018
The AIDS Committee of York Region (ACYR) is a community-based, non-profit organization that provides support, education and promotes access to dignified care for people living with HIV/AIDS and affected by HIV/AIDS. We are currently seeking an experienced, highly motivated team player with excellent communications and program coordination skills.
The selected candidate will be responsible for coordination of wellness and life skills development initiatives for people living with, impacted by, or at increased risk of HIV/AIDS and Hep C in York Region. The incumbent will also facilitate engagement between people living with, impacted by, or at increased risk of HIV/AIDS and Hep C and health and social services agencies in York Region to build local community capacity for HIV/AIDS and Hep C prevention. Specifically, the incumbent will:
- Coordinate access to and participation in wellness and life skills development programs for people living with, impacted by, and at increased risk of HIV/AIDS and Hep C in York Region to help them overcome social isolation and gain knowledge, skills, and community connections to improve coping skills and health outcomes.
- Coordinate one-on-one asset mapping and goal setting activities with people living with, impacted by, and at increased risk of HIV/AIDS and Hep C in York Region to help them identify their strengths and build resilience.
- Engage community members impacted by or at increased risk of HIV/AIDS and Hep C in prevention and harm reduction efforts through education and information-sharing as well as distribution of harm reduction supplies and resources in partnership with other community-based programs across York Region.
- Leverage the knowledge, skills, and experience of current program participants to engage them as volunteers, peer leaders and mentors in ongoing program delivery.
The candidate will work closely with the Manager of Support Services and Harm Reduction Program Managaer to ensure that all program activities are in keeping with ACYR’s values and philosophy including a commitment to harm reduction and GIPA/MIPA* principles, its strategic direction, and standards of excellence (*Greater and Meaningful Involvement of People Living With HIV/AIDS).
Job duties include:
Wellness & Life Skills Development
- Coordinate 6-8 monthly and at least one annual wellness and life skills development sessions at ACYR or partner agency locations based on needs and goals identified by program participants and Peer Advisory Committee (PAC) members to help improve health and wellness outcomes for those living with, impacted by and at-risk of HIV/AIDS and Hep C.
- Foster service user participation in life skills, knowledge, and peer leadership development opportunities in collaboration with Manager of Support Services & Harm Reduction Program Manager.
- Recruit, engage, and train peer volunteers to support program development and delivery.
- Implement an asset-mapping strategy (in partnership with Manager of Support Services) to help service users build their resilience through individualized goal setting on basic needs, social connections, skills and employability, sense of self, finance, and health.
- Use asset mapping tool and processes to support service users with the development of a personalized health, wellness, and life skills development plan.
- Help service users build linkages with community networks and resources to facilitate attainment of individual goals.
Support Services & Practical Assistance
- Assist Manager of Support Services with annual service user wellness surveys and support service program evaluations as needed.
- Assist Manager of Support Services to fulfill practical assistance requests from service users for financial support, food security, transportation, and basic need items as needed.
- Coordinate food and clothing bank distribution based as needed.
Community Outreach & Engagement
- Identify and build strategic partnerships to develop an integrated and coordinated response to community wellness and life skills development needs.
- Engage community members impacted by or at increased risk of HIV/AIDS and Hep C in prevention and harm reduction efforts through education and information sharing at drop-in and community-based programs across York Region.
- Participate in weekly shifts on the LOFT Crosslinks street outreach van to distribute harm reduction and sexual health promotion supplies and resources, and promote HIV/Hep C and other STBBI testing.
Program Evaluation, Resource Development & Administration
- Support program evaluation activities and develop recommendations as needed.
- Maintain an up-to-date calendar of program activities.
- Support planning and delivery of annual Holiday Care program.
- Develop and maintain program budget in consultation with Executive Director.
- Inform program participants about their rights and agency policies and procedures; ensure any complaints and incident reports are duly processed.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records/files (hard copies as well as in the OCASE database).
- Support development of grant applications and funder reports as needed.
- Adhere to ACYR’s policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Degree or diploma in the human services discipline or equivalent experience.
- At least 2-3 years of experience working with marginalized people who are living with HIV/AIDS or Hep C, actively using substances, have mental health challenges, engaged in sex work, are homeless, and/or live in tents/camps
- Ability to maintain a non-judgmental and non-stigmatizing approach
- Ability to function effectively in difficult and/or crisis situations
- Ability to work from a trauma-informed, anti-discrimination/ anti-oppressive lens
- Respectful of people’s self-determination abilities
- Experience being a mentor or coach for vulnerable/marginalized populations
- Self-starter with strong communication skills
- Established ability to maintain confidentiality and healthy boundaries
- Demonstrated ability to respect agency policies and protocols
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Understanding of and commitment to harm reduction principles and sex positivity
- Understanding of HIV/AIDS, Hep C, substance use, and social determinants of health
- Not use homophobic, trans-phobic, sexist or racist language, or language demeaning to drug users and/or sex workers
- Familiarity with York Region and knowledge of local resources an asset
- Must have regular access to a vehicle, insurance and valid driver’s license.
- Vulnerable sector screening is required.
Please submit cover letter and resume highlighting qualifications and experience by the application deadline of May 25, 2018, by:
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Community Wellness & Engagement Coordinator Position
- Mail to: Hiring Committee, AIDS Committee of York Region, 10909 Yonge Street, Unit #203, Richmond Hill ON, L4C 3E3.
The AIDS Committee of York Region promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applicants with lived experience of substance use, HIV/AIDS, and/or Hep C. We also encourage people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities and expression.
We thank all applicants. However, only those who are to be interviewed will be contacted.